From baby clothes to shots, we realize our post order is random but such is life, is it not? And such is us, babies and shots! J/K. Anyways, does anyone else feel like the month of May just creeped up on us? May 5th is this Sunday - Drinko de Mayo! In all seriousness, I know it's a day to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride. :) So please go forth, let's celebrate (responsibly) with a shot or two! And it's not a Cinco de Mayo celebration if tequila isn't involved right?
I actually made two kinds of shots last night. Apparently, just ONE way of drinking tequila was not enough. OPTIONS right? Gotta have options. Below, I provide instructions to make a plain tequila shot in a lime cup and also a classic margarita-ahhhh! that can be served as a cocktail or as shots. Check out this simple idea below to take your shots (buzz) to the next level - whether you are a hosting a fiesta or just to drink fancifully by yourself. No judgement here.
Got my swerve-o on with Jose Cuervo last night. For obvious reasons, lots of tequila and salt was spilled in taking these pictures. 0_o
TEQUILA LIME CUP SHOTS
- Cut off the ends of the limes so that the lime cup can stand up level. Then cut the limes in half.
- Gut out lime core. First using a knife going around close to edge of the peel. Be very CAREFUL doing this because it gets juicy and you want to be extra careful with knife. Best to do over a bowl (to save the lime juice for the margarita). Then after you loosened up the sides, use a fork to dig in the core and twist out the rest of the inside. SEE BELOW PICTURE of the gutted out lime cup.
- Rim the edges with salt. Twist the lime face down on a pile of sea salt or grinded salt. Alternative: First rim the lime edge with a little bit of honey so that the salt will stick more and you'll get a little bit of sweet and sour taste when you take the shot.
- Fill your lime cup! Use your favorite tequila (chilled or room temperature is up to you). Or fill it with the margarita shots (SEE BELOW for instructions).
- Garnish lime cup with lime wedge. Lime inception.
OPTIONAL - CLASSIC MARGARITA:
- 1 1/2 oz tequila
- 1/2 oz triple sec (Cointreau recommended)
- 1 oz fresh lime juice (that you'll collect from the gutted out lime cup, see below)
- 1 oz agave nectar (optional, if you want to sweeten)
- lime wedge for garnish
- salt or sugar to rim glass
- Pour ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Shake well!
- Salt the rim of a chilled margarita glass.
- Pour contents with ice into the glass, garnish with lime wedge.
- Serve and drink as a cocktail or using a strainer, pour the margarita into the salt rimmed lime cup and serve as a shot!
♪ ♫ SHOT, SHOTS, SHOTS, SHOTS, everybaahhdy! ♩ ♬ Happy early Cinco de Mayo!