The concept of "clean eating" was perplexing to me the first time I heard of it. Making sure my food is washed clean before eating it? I always do! Although that part is important, the real meaning behind it is actually quite simple and smart: eating fresh, whole foods (as close to their natural state as you can get them) instead of pre-packaged, processed or fast food.
What a great concept. I try to eat clean whenever possible. And though I still falter with the occasional burger or slice of cake, eating clean overall really makes a HUGE difference. Less bloating/food baby/after-meal food coma - and you really do just feel...better! Try it for yourself for a week or so and you'll notice the difference.
I made this kale and beet salad with an all natural avocado lime dressing as my first meal back from vacation. It was much needed and I felt much better after a weekend of eating like there was no tomorrow - YOEO! (you only eat once?)
- One bunch Kale - washed and cut
- 1-2 Beets - washed, cut and cooked (I boiled mine for 20-30 min, or until tender)
- 1/2 Avocado, diced
- 1 Egg - hard boiled (about 8 minutes in boiling water)
- Sprouts - (I used pea shoots)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2-1 Lime (depending on how tart you'd like it), juiced
- 1 tbs. Cilantro
- 1/2-1 Garlic clove (if you like it garlicky)
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Water (depending on how thick you'd like the dressing)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 Sweet Potato, peeled and sliced (about 1/4 inch thick)
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
1. To prepare the sweet potatoes, place one layer of the medallions on a greased cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees until tender.
2. For the dressing, combine the avocado, lime, cilantro and garlic in a food processor and blend well. Add water and blend again until you reach your desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
3. For the salad, simply place a couple of handfuls of kale at the bottom. Then, layer on the beets, avocado, egg and sprouts. Drizzle on your homemade dressing and enjoy!
Oh yeah - CLEAN EATING MACHINE!