Hello summer. Satisfy your sweet tooth with these yogurt pops - a great healthy, alternative to sugary popsicles on a hot summer day. With the layering of flavors and colors, they are perfect for July 4th get togethers too. Fresh ingredients, homemade, and so easy! I'm already getting ideas to make a yogurt cheesecake one! Yum. Check out the easy recipe below:
- 4 cups of greek yogurt (vanilla or plain)
- 1/2 cup of strawberries chopped
- 1/2 cup of blueberries chopped
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- ice cube tray (suggested here)
- popsicle sticks (optional) - I ended up using wooden spoons I found at a craft shop.
I chose to do a mixture of the popsicle and the bonbon-like yogurt nuggets.
- Combine the strawberries with 1 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon of sugar (or more), 1 tablespoon of lemon and blend in a blender until smooth. Put aside.
- Do the same as above with the blueberries. Put aside.
- Combine the remaining 2 cups of yogurt, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of lemon and blend until smooth. Put aside.
- Fill 1/3 of silicone ice cube tray with the first color/flavor of your choice. Next fill the second layer with the plain yogurt mix. Then fill the remaining 1/3 with the last flavor. Tap the tray so the mixture will settle and pop in the freezer! Check on the tray after an hour, to insert your popsicle sticks and freeze for another 2-3 hours and voila!
- Fill the silicone ice cube tray with plain yogurt your blueberry or strawberry mixture and then drop in chunks of your fruit and then cover the rest with the more yogurt.
- Pop in the freezer for about 2-3 hours! Use a butter knife to go around the edges to loosen them when ready to serve.
Tips: To eat the the nuggets, let them thaw out a little bit so it's not so frozen. I topped mine with almonds and drizzled a little bit of honey on top to cut the tartness (see below) and dove into with a spoon. You can eat them on a hot morning instead of your regular yogurt. It's like eating ice cream for breakfast!