Candied and roasted nuts have quickly become one of my new favorite snacks. And with the holiday season upon us, they're perfect to have around for parties and get togethers or even as a little gift for a host/hostess. There are a ton of different sweet and savory versions, but I had to try this recipe I found for caramel nuts. I added my own touch by sprinkling it with roasted black sesame seeds and sea salt.
- 3 cups untoasted nuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (you can also use honey or agave syrup)
- 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Black sesame seeds
- Sea salt
1. Place the nuts in a medium size mixing bowl and set aside. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar melts, and bring it to a boil.
3. Boil the mixture for four minutes without stirring. Once the four minutes is up, remove immediately from the heat. Add the vanilla and baking soda, and stir quickly.
4. Immediately pour the mixture over the nuts and stir to coat the nuts thoroughly. Place the nuts onto a 9x13" pan and spread them out. Sprinkle with black sesame seeds and sea salt.
5. Bake the caramel nuts for 40 minutes, stirring after every 10 minutes.
6. Remove the nuts from the oven and spoon them onto a baking sheet covered with foil. Allow them to cool at room temperature, and once cool, break them into pieces.