So last year, I got a lil tipsy making the Cinco de Mayo post. You can read the post here! Lush much? I was spilling tequila and talking about getting my swerve-o on with Jose Cuervo. I guess I had jokes last year. hah. Well this year, Jose and his lime (and lemon) friends join me again but in the form of jello (agar jelly) shots with less spillage. I'm posting more responsibly now. :)
I used almond agar jelly (usually used in Asian desserts) instead of jello gelatin which makes these jello shots vegan! You can read its benefits and why we prefer agar agar jelly over regular jello gelatin HERE in our previous fresh fruit agar jelly post. I used cherry juice to mix in with the agar powder to make the red color and orange juice for the orange color and just used water to keep the white color. Tequila, vodka or other alcohol is optional. But a DRINKO de Mayo celebration is not complete with out tequila.
- 1 package of almond agar powder - You can find almond agar powder package at most Asian grocery stores or you can find regular plain agar powder at Whole Foods and most grocers.
- 1 cup of cherry juice
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of water
- fresh limes and lemons (the bigger the better)
- Jose Cuervo Gold tequila
- garnish: sea salt and fresh mint
- Wash and slice the limes into halves long ways and the lemon short ways.
- Squeeze out all juice from the lemons and limes into a bowl - save for margarit-ahhhs laters :)
- Remove pulp from the lemons and limes - this is the most tedious and longest part. For the limes: flip it inside out and try to peel big large pieces of the pulpy flesh from the rind (see picture above). Once you get most of it out, you can use a spoon to scrape out the rest. For the lemon: if you try to flip it inside out (as I learned), you will break the skin. So I used a pairing or serrated knife to cut out the core (see picture above). I didn't scrape the pulp from the rind like I did the lime, since it was already a clean cut.
- Place your lemon and lime cups in a cupcake holder as shown in the picture above.
- Make the different flavors in separate pots. Pour the water (cherry juice, orange juice), agar powder (I used 1/3 of the package for each flavor) into a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes, making sure to stir frequently so the agar dissolves. Remove the liquid mix off the heat, stir in your tequila. I used only 1 shot to not over power the flavors.
- Fill your lemon and lime cups to the rim without overflowing.
- Transfer your cups into the fridge and allow to set. Agar jelly firms more quicker than jello so it should be ready in an hour or so.
- Once set, cut the your lemon and lime halves in half again.
- Serve and enjoy!
Note: You can use your left over lime juice for margaritas and mojitos. Neato mojito!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!