Ever have one of those weeks where you just cannot catch a break? That's been my week at work - it's been a -spinning my wheels, frustrating, stressful, talking myself off the ledge every day sort of situation. Okay, maybe a tad bit dramatic but stress levels have been at an all time high and I've had no energy after work to cook or create. Which for me, really just feeds the cycle of negativity.
But, today is Friday. Sweet, glorious glorious Friday. The day everyone in (most of) the working world looks forward to. The promise of a new weekend where you can relax, refresh and renew. Best, yet? Time for a cocktail. And a really good one at that.
There's a cozy little speakeasy in NYC called Employees Only. The food is good, but the cocktails are GREAT. I had the "Amelia" there and was blown away. An attempt at a re-creation was a must, and I have to say this version is not too shabby! Fresh blackberry puree, lemon juice, vodka and elderberry liquor. Delicious.
It's time for a celebration. By George, we made it to Friday!
Ingredients (one serving):
- About 10-15 fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz vodka (I used Hangar1 vodka)
- 1 oz elderberry liquor (I used St-Germain)
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Mint leaves (as a garnish)
You'll also need a shaker, blender and fine strainer (I used a tea strainer)
- Puree the blackberries. Strain the puree in order to remove any thick pulp or seeds.
- Add 4-5 tablespoons of the puree, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, the vodka, elderberry liquor and crushed ice in the shaker. Shake well.
- Pour into your glass, garnish with mint leaves and bottoms up!