I used to be super excited for the winter holiday season to roll around because it meant yummy holiday feasts and treats. Nowadays, I look forward to summertime more from an "eating perspective" as so many delicious fruits and vegetables are in season (not to mention beautiful flowers). My kitchen is always overflowing with fresh produce in the summertime and I LOVE IT.
I came home from a week long trip in NYC to find the hubs had stocked our fridge with rainier cherries, blueberries and watermelon. So much food excitement! I pretty much gobbled down all the cherries by myself. Then I made this watermelon and blueberry cooler (if you're lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's close by you know where the basil came from. Entire plant for $2.99 - cha-ching!).
There isn't much to not like about this drink - it's all natural (no added sugar) and tastes amazingly refreshing. Add your favorite liquor in if you want to go cocktail style.
Ingredients (1 serving):
- 5 medium size chunks of seedless watermelon
- 15 blueberries
- 1/2 lime
- 2 basil leaves
- splash of sparkling water (to help blend the watermelon)
1. Use a blender to puree the watermelon, sparkling water and lime juice. Make sure this is mixed well.
2. In a cup or bowl, muddle the blueberries and basil leaves. If you don't have a pestle, you can use a wooden spoon or other blunt object to do this. You'll want to smoosh this enough so the juice from the berries comes out.
3. Add the pureed watermelon juice into the muddled berries and stir with a spoon. You can also add an ounce (or 2 or 3!?) of vodka or gin to the mixture for a delicious summer cocktail.
4. Garnish with a slice of watermelon and basil leaf and enjoy!!