Happy Monday, World! After weekend recovery usually includes a healthy meal for me - without meat if possible. I know, for all you meat-eaters this may sound like torture but trust me it's not really that bad! Try it for one meal and you might just like it. Throwing in hearty, hot ingredients also helps to make it feel more like a meal and less like a boring salad.
This egg and farro bowl also has cooked okra (one of my fav veggies), tomatoes and mushrooms. Throw in any veggies that may be your favorite - grain salads make a great base for just about anything you want to toss in there. And of course we can't forgot the almighty powerful and delicious FRIED EGG. It makes anything better.
- 1 pkg. farro
- arugula, spinach or your favorite salad, washed
- 1 egg
- cherry tomatoes, washed
- okra, washed and sliced
- shimeji mushrooms or your favorite mushroom, washed and cut
- olive oil
- fresh lemon juice
- chives, washed and sliced
- sesame seeds
- coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Follow the directions on the package to cook the faro. Set aside.
- Place the tomatoes, mushrooms and okra on a baking sheet (or separate ramekins). Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until the okra is cooked all the way through.
- Use some olive oil to fry the egg in a frying pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the bowl. Toss the faro and arugula/spinach/salad in a bowl with some olive oil, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Place in a bowl as the base.
- Layer on the tomatoes, mushrooms and okra.
- Season with chives and sesame seeds.